Babbel helps you practice all areas of language: reading, writing, listening, and speaking. Its interactive activities will get you conversational in no time. The Babbel language-learning program includes vocabulary drills, reading exercises, and live conversations in lessons that you can repeat anytime you want. The app has an innovative and adaptive algorithm that adjusts the difficulty based on your previous answers to ensure that you are getting the most out of each lesson.
The language experts at Babbel create each course based on your native language to help you learn each language more effectively and efficiently.
How Babbel works
Babbel is your key to learning a new language effectively. Whether you’re returning to a language you’ve learnt before and need to jog your memory, or starting from scratch – Babbel’s unique ecosystem has the right learning activities for you.
Babbel is designed to get you speaking quickly by making learning fun, interesting, and relevant to your specific needs. Over 150 language learning experts tailor each course to your native language and your learning level, sourcing original content from native speakers to ensure you have an authentic and enjoyable experience from day one.
1. Set up your account
To kickstart your learning journey, simply go to the App Store or Google Play Store, search for “Babbel” and download the app onto your smartphone. You’ll be prompted to set up an account with your email address, which you will use to log into your account in the future.
2. Select a language to learn
Would you like to learn Spanish, German, French or another language? Choose from our 14 available languages. If you change your mind later on, you can easily switch to a different language.
3. Find your learning level
Don’t worry about knowing your current language level and where to start. A quick placement test will make sure you are suggested learning content that suits your current skill level.
4. Set a weekly goal
Think about how many lessons you’d like to complete per week, then set them as your weekly goal. You’ll quickly find your rhythm and get into the groove of working towards it a little every day. You can easily scale your weekly goal up or down, depending on how busy you are.
5. Enable speech recognition
Feel prepared for real-life conversations with Babbel’s speech recognition software. You’ll be asked to enable the microphone on your device – switch it on to best practise your speaking skills and get real-time feedback on your pronunciation.
Read also: Buckle Credit Card Login
Is Babbel free?
Registration with Babbel is completely free of charge and the first lesson in every course is free to try. (Depending on the language you choose, that’s 30-80 free lessons!) They want you to interact with their product, see how their lessons are structured, and view their course topics before you sign up for a Babbel subscription. If you want full access to Babbel’s courses, simply choose a subscription that works best for you.
Whatever your learning motivation might be, Babbel has the ideal subscription plan for you, so you can easily fit language learning into your routine and start working towards your goals.
- 3-month subscription: Ideal if you’re just getting started and want to find your learning rhythm.
- 6-month subscription: Best if you’re a language enthusiast and have a rough learning goal in mind.
- 12-month subscription: Great if you’re a real language aficionado and a studious learner.
How to cancel Babbel
Here are the ways you can cancel your subscription. Deleting the app from your device doesn’t cancel your subscription. If you have registered via iOS and Android, follow these instructions.
Tip: If you don’t know the method you use to subscribe, check your original invoice to determine if you pay through Babbel or through the Apple App Store or Google Play store.
Tip: If you pay through the Apple App Store or Google Play Store and wish to pay through Babbel instead, please cancel your App Store or Google Play subscription and then pay for a subscription through Babbel.
If you subscribe directly through Babbel
Note: If you’ve subscribed through Babbel, you can only cancel via Babbel’s website.
- Log in to your Account Information
- Select the Cancel auto-renewal button
You’ll receive confirmation of cancellation at the email address associated with your account.
If you subscribe via the Apple App Store
- Go to Settings on your iPhone or iPad
- Tap your Apple ID
- Tap Subscriptions
- Tap Babbel subscription
- Select Cancel
If you subscribed via the Google Play Store
- Open the Google Play Store
- Confirm that you are signed in to the correct Google account
- Tap Menu Subscriptions
- Select Babbel subscription
- Tap Cancel subscription
How much does Babbel Cost
Babbel has different subscription options, and the monthly cost decreases based on the length of your subscription. A one-month subscription costs$14.95, a three-month subscription costs$37.95($12.65per month), and a yearly subscription costs$89.40($7.45per month). A lifetime access is a one-time payment of$349.00and you have access to all languages. Babbel pricing may differ in other countries.
Which payment methods does Babbel accept?
Payment transactions with Babbel adhere to the highest security standards, including a secure server connection and up-to-date encryption methods. We vet each payment option thoroughly before adding it to our system because your data protection is important to us. Here are the payment options we accept:
If you purchase via our website, you can pay using a credit card, including Mastercard, Visa, Discover, and American Express. Some debit cards are also accepted (depending on your bank’s settings).
Direct debit and transfers
For local options, Dutch customers may pay via iDeal, and German customers can pay with Giropay and SOFORT Überweisung.
Finally, Babbel also accept payment globally with PayPal.
Note: Unfortunately, it’s not possible to pay via PayPal if you live in Turkey or Brazil.
You can also buy a Babbel subscription through the Apple App Store or Google Play store. Be aware that different prices and conditions may apply in these cases.
How do I access Babbel on a computer?
To start learning a language online on your computer, first sign up for an account. If you’ve already registered an account with us, log in here. Here’s the full step-by-process to access Babbel on your computer:
- Go to www.babbel.com
- Click on Log in at the top-right corner of the page
- Log in using Facebook, Google or your email address and password. If you want to log in with your email address, just type it in in the fields provided
- Start learning!
Babbel customer service
It’s easy to get in touch with Babbel’s Customer Service team. Feel free to contact us via any of the following options, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
1. Click the orange chat bubbleon the bottom right corner of most pages on babbel.com. You can type “send a message” to send us a message, or try asking our support bot a question – it might know the answer!
2. Send a message using our contact form.
3. From the Babbel App, send us a message by tapping on Profile , then the Settings wheel Select Help.
4. Or, email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you already have a Babbel account, send an email from the email address you used to register with us or specify which email address you used. This makes it faster for us to find your account and answer your question.
Babbel Liveis our platform for live, online language classes. With Babbel Live, you are in the capable hands of our certified, friendly, native-speaking language teachers. Benefit from their support in a safe environment and choose from hundreds of classes per week to easily fit language learning into your schedule.
What are Babbel Podcasts?
Babbel Podcastsare full-immersion cultural experiences with native speakers, teaching different languages at various levels. They are available via Spotify, Apple Music, Spreaker and also in the Babbel app!
Learn on the go, whenever it suits you: You can download theBabbel Apponto your smartphone or tablet and access language lessons, podcasts and more – anytime, anywhere, even offline.
Can I use Babbel on a laptop or desktop?
Yes! Simply type “Babbel.com” into your preferred browser and sign up or log into your existing account to use the web-based version of Babbel.
How do I access my Babbel courses on a mobile device?
To access Babbel courses on your mobile device, make sure you download and log into the Babbel app.
How to log in on Babbel App
- Open the Babbel app
- Tap on Log In at the bottom of the page
- Tap the option Continue with email
- Use the email address linked to your Babbel account and enter your password
After you log into the app, you’ll see your home screen and you can tap on your next lesson to start learning. To select a different course or level, tap on Explore at the bottom of the screen and then Courses.
How to change your learning language on Babbel
- Tap on Profile, then the Settings wheel
- Tap My Languages and select the correct language
Babbel offers 14 language courses: Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese (Brazilian), Polish, Russian, Dutch, Turkish, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Indonesian, and English. Even though Babbel offers multiple languages, a regular subscription only gives you access to one language. The quality of the courses varies depending on the language you want to study.
Babbel Spanish Review
The Babbel Spanish course is comprehensive and consists of lessons ranging in difficulty from complete newcomer to advanced. You can choose between Mexican Spanish and Castellano (Spanish from Spain). In addition to the core course, Babbel also offers additional refresher courses, grammar lessons, Business Spanish, and other specialized Spanish courses.
Babbel vs Pimsleur
The primary differences between Babbel and Pimsleur boil down to lesson length and format. Pimsleur’s lessons are longer and emphasize more audio exercises, whereas Babbel’s lessons are shorter and rely more on quick-hit drills.
Pros of Pimsleur
- The Pimsleur method is the more effective framework for learning a language
- The English speaking moderator is very helpful during audio lessons
- Pimsleur’s emphasis on audio and speaking allows you to do lessons anywhere
- Modern digital platform with an incredible user interface
- New voice coach feature to provide feedback on your pronunciation
Cons of Pimsleur
- Though effective, some lessons can seem long and boring
- Subscription plans are more expensive than Babbel’s
Pros of Babbel
- More affordable subscription plans compared to Pimsleur
- Uses a wide variety of exercises that are engaging and fun
- Lessons take just 10 to 15 minutes, making them fast and easy to complete
- Babbel’s inclusion of English translations makes learning much easier
- The use of frequent review sessions is very effective for language learning
Cons of Babbel
- Babbel doesn’t place as much emphasis on practicing verbal skills as Pimsleur
- Not really designed for advanced learners (meant more for beginner to intermediate)
- Limited languages covered (only 14)
Babbel or Rosetta Stone
The primary difference between Babbel and Rosetta Stone is that the lessons from Babbel are more comprehensive and engaging than the repetitive, image-heavy lessons from Rosetta Stone.